Scribbled by Stephen

I am starting to feel that it might be a good idea for me to record about my new university life in Hong Kong. One day, I am sure to visit this site to look back at my past.

So yeah.. I have moved in yesterday into Hong Kong. Took CX736 here. Reached at about 1400hrs. However, there I had some problems checking in my luggages yesterday. My inclination to being presumpatious has again failed me. I presumed that Cathay Pacific has some extra baggage allowance for student. They don't. And apparently, it is also stated in my flight itinerary that maximum baggage allowance is only 20kg. My total baggage was weighted at about 50kg. So yeah.. So cool that I exceeded by 30kg and they are charging Singapore$26.33 for each extra 1kg. My first huge luggage successfully went by a little bit of negotiation. Another 10kg badminton bag has to be tagged with other passanger in order for me to avoid the ridiculous charge. Spent like 15mins to get a kind young couple who agreed to help me. And the rest are carried by hand into the cabin. I somehow believe that I am lucky, I am always lucky. This is a good philosophy. I read that if our mind focuses into something, there is a strong likelihood that we can attract that something. So if you think that you are always lucky, luck will somehow come to you.

New address: 109 Pokfulam Road Morrison Hall 1010A Hong Kong.

Morrison Hall is a hall that house both post-grads(mixed) and under-grad(men only). First impression is that hall people are generally friendly. They are quite willing to help and explain things to help me adjusting in. However, my first night was pretty horrendous. I could not switch on the air-con and without it the room was insanely hot. In the halls, we need to have 'smart card' which store specific amount of credits (to be purchased and transferred into the card) and these credits are to be used to use the laundry and air-con services. So things are done cashless here.

School is cool. Its pretty big. I just hate the fact that I am staying in a hall which is of a fair bit distance from the main campus and my faculty. It requires abt 15mins walk to the main campus. And a bus ride is needed to reach my faculty which is located outside the main campus. Had a hard time traveling around for the first day here. I dont think I'll be able to get used to the main campus map as I will be spending most of my time in the dental faculty. On top of that, it is still summer here. So its quite hot and walking is a chore. Looking forward to fall and winter where the temperature will be cooler.

Food here is generally nice with an average cost of HK$24 per meal. And now I am supposed to decide which optional course that I would like to take. There a lot of choices and many seem interesting to me.
Those that really interests me are:
1. Energy: Its Evolution and Environmental Impacts Details
2. Biotechnology - Science and Impacts Details
3. Stem Cells: Promises, Concerns and Uncertainties Details
4. Infectious Disease in a Changing World Details
5. The Science of Crime Investigation Details
6. Breakthroughs in Biomedical Science Details
7. Globalization: African Experiences Details

But too bad I can only choose ONE of them. I'll think about it. Probably, its wiser to do something to do along the medical line such as optiopn 2,3,4 or 6.

Thats all for now. I am tired of typing. Gotta go buy some groceries and electrical applicance.

Cheers!!

This entry was posted on Sunday, August 22, 2010 . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

0 bullshit